To become an LPN in Washington you will need to:
- Attend an approved practical nursing program in the United States.
- Complete an application form for licensure. You can get one at http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/Professions/Nursing/documents/LPN_by_Exam.pdf. Your application must include the $90 application fee. Note that applications take three to four weeks to process.
- The director of the nursing school you attended must sign and send a completed Certificate of Completion form to the Commission.
- Request that your nursing school send a set of official transcripts to the Washington State Department of Health, Nursing Commission.
- Register for the NCLEX exam at http://www.pearsonvue.com/nclex/. The exam fee is $200.
- Once you are approved to test, take and pass the exam.
- Receive your license
Did you know that LPNs in Washington earn a mean hourly wage of $20.92 or a mean annual wage of $43,520?*Salary data from U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2008
Washington State Nursing Care Quality Assurance Commission
Department of Health
310 Israel Rd. SE
Tumwater, WA 98501-7864
Phone: (360) 236-4700
Fax: (360) 236-4738