How to Become an LPN in Iowa
To become an LPN in Iowa you will need to:
- Attend a board-approved practical nursing program.
- Request an application packet by emailing the Iowa Board of Nursing or calling them at (515) 281-6488.
- Complete the application packet and send it, along with the $93 application fee in the form of a check or money order, to the Iowa Board of Nursing as specified in the packet. This includes getting fingerprinted using the fingerprint cards included in the application packet and signing the waiver form. The fingerprint card fee is $50. The $143 (total of the two fees) and all the forms should be sent in the same envelope.
- Request that official transcripts from the nursing school you attended are sent to the Board.
- Register for, take, and pass the NCLEX exam. The exam fee is $200. You can find out your test results two weeks after the exam by calling the Iowa Board of Nursing’s voice response telephone system.
- Receive your license from the Iowa Board of Nursing.
Did you know that LPNs in Iowa earn a mean hourly wage of $17.03 or a mean annual wage of $35,430?
*Salary data from U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2008